I am an American married to a South Indian. I love the delicious food that my mother-in-law makes, but I can never seem to get my hands on any authentic South Indian recipes. This blog is simply a collection of dishes I have learned by watching Ammachi ("grandma") in the kitchen. From the heart of our home to yours, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Idli

Idli (id-lee) are small savory steamed bread cakes made from rice flour and urad dal (black lentil) flour.  To make it from scratch requires that the batter sit overnight to rise, for this reason I like to use the instant Idli mix from our local Indian store.  To properly prepare Idli, you need an Idli steamer, which is a multi-layered steaming tray with about 18 2" molds for the small steamed cakes.  Idli is very enjoyable with Sambar and/or your favorite chutney. 


Ingredients
2 cups rice flour
1 cup urad dal flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
water to make batter

1.  Mix flours, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl/container with lid.  Stir in water by 1/2 cupfuls until a wet, thick, paste forms, kneading with fingers to mix thoroughly.  Cover and set aside to rise overnight.

2.  Stir batter.  Boil 1" water in large stockpot.  Lightly oil steamer molds, spoon 1-2 Tbsp of batter into each mold.  Stack trays and place in boiling water; cover and steam for 7 minutes.  Idli should be dense, soft, and cooked through.  Remove from molds with a spoon and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment