I am an American married to a South Indian. I love the delicious food that my mother-in-law makes, but I can never seem to get my hands on any authentic South Indian recipes. This blog is simply a collection of dishes I have learned by watching Ammachi ("grandma") in the kitchen. From the heart of our home to yours, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Fish Mole

Fish Mole (mol) is flavorful and mouthwatering!  If fish isn't your thing, I think it would end up equally as appetizing with chicken.    


Ingredients
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 Tbsp vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb. white fish fillets (tilapia, halibut, cod, etc.)
1" piece of ginger, peeled, diced
5 garlic cloves, diced
2 Tbsp coriander
1/2 onion, chopped
1 green chili, chopped
water
4 Tbsp oil
2 cups water
1/2 cup coconut milk

1.  Mix chili powder, turmeric, vinegar, and salt; apply to fish and allow to marinate for 15-20 minutes.

2.  Meanwhile, blend ginger, garlic, coriander, onion, and green chili into a paste in blender, adding water as needed.  Set aside.

3.  Heat oil in large pan; fry fish until flaky and cooked through, turning once.  Remove fish from pan and set aside.  To hot oil, add ginger paste; fry for 1 - 2 minutes.  Return fish to pan, add water; cook on high 2 - 3 minutes.  Reduce heat; simmer on low for 7 - 8 minutes.  When sauce is thick, add coconut milk; stir to mix and heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment