I am an American married to a South Indian. I love the delicious food that my mother-in-law makes, but I can never seem to get my hands on any authentic South Indian recipes. This blog is simply a collection of dishes I have learned by watching Ammachi ("grandma") in the kitchen. From the heart of our home to yours, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Tomato Curry

This curry is simple and piquant.  Because it is easy to prepare and requires few ingredients, it is perfect for a last minute weeknight dinner.   


Ingredients
2 Tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 onion, chopped
1" piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp coriander
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
4 tomatoes, chopped

1.  Heat oil in medium saucepan; add mustard seeds.  When seeds start to pop, add onion, ginger, and garlic; sauté until lightly browned.  Add chili powder, coriander, garam masala, cumin, and salt; stir to mix.  Add tomatoes; stir and cook 1 minute.  Add 2 cups water; simmer until slightly thickened.  Serve with rice or chapati.

No comments:

Post a Comment