I am an American married to a South Indian. I love the delicious food that my mother-in-law makes, but I can never seem to get my hands on any authentic South Indian recipes. This blog is simply a collection of dishes I have learned by watching Ammachi ("grandma") in the kitchen. From the heart of our home to yours, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Uttappam

Uttappam is a thicker, heartier version of the Rava Dosai.  You can leave out the vegetables if you want to, but they do add a good flavor.  Uttappam is filling and can be a light meal in itself.  If you can't find the rava wheatlets at a local Asian/Indian store, you can use uncooked Cream of Wheat, it is the same stuff! 


Ingredients
2 cups rava
water
1 tsp salt
1 green chili, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1" piece of ginger, peeled and diced
1 Tbsp oil
1 tomato, chopped
handful cilantro

1.  Mix rava, salt, and enough water to make a thick paste-y batter.

2.  Heat oil in small saucepan, add onion, chili, ginger; sauté 3 mins.  Add onion mixture to batter along with tomatoes and cilantro; stir to mix well.

3.  Heat large skillet; melt a sliver of butter in center of skillet.  Pour 1/4 cup of batter mixture into skillet, cook until golden brown on bottom.  Flip uttappam and cook until golden on other side.  Serve hot!


No comments:

Post a Comment