I am an American married to a South Indian. I love the delicious food that my mother-in-law makes, but I can never seem to get my hands on any authentic South Indian recipes. This blog is simply a collection of dishes I have learned by watching Ammachi ("grandma") in the kitchen. From the heart of our home to yours, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Onion Bhajia

Onion Bhajia (ba-jee-a) is a yummy snack of sliced onion that is battered and fried crispy.  I love it as a crunchy accompaniment to my meal!  


Ingredients
1 onion, sliced
1 cup channa flour (chickpea flour)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp asafoetida powder
water
oil for frying

1.  Mix flour, chili powder, salt, asafoetida powder, with enough water to make thick paste.  Add onion; stir to mix well.

2.  Drop Tbspfuls of the mixture into oil; fry until golden brown, turning as needed.  Drain on paper towels.  Enjoy as a snack or with a meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment