I am an American married to a South Indian. I love the delicious food that my mother-in-law makes, but I can never seem to get my hands on any authentic South Indian recipes. This blog is simply a collection of dishes I have learned by watching Ammachi ("grandma") in the kitchen. From the heart of our home to yours, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Beetroot Thoren (Dry Curry)

This dish is a slightly sweet, slightly spicy sidekick that is a refreshing and visually striking accompaniment.  The important thing is to get the beets and their greens shredded very fine.  And PLEASE wear an apron for this...unless, of course, purple splatters are your style.  There is no liquid in this curry, so it will be dry.  And very purple.  Enjoy!  


Ingredients
2 Tbsp oil
1/2 Tbsp mustard seeds
1/2 onion, shredded
1 green chili, minced
2 large beets, shredded
Beet greens, chopped
1/2 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp salt
2 cups shredded coconut (unsweetened)

1. Heat oil in large skillet; add mustard seeds.  When seeds start to pop, add onion and chilies; cook until browned.

2.  Add beets, greens, curry powder, garlic powder, salt, and coconut.  Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through and beets are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment