I am an American married to a South Indian. I love the delicious food that my mother-in-law makes, but I can never seem to get my hands on any authentic South Indian recipes. This blog is simply a collection of dishes I have learned by watching Ammachi ("grandma") in the kitchen. From the heart of our home to yours, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Upama

Upama is a popular breakfast in Southern India.  It starts as wheat in a form like dry grits or cream of wheat; the end product is thick and sticky, yet dry (not like porridge).  When cooked properly, you should be able to shape the upama into a ball with your fingers!  Though a savory dish, upama is particularly scrumptious with sliced banana.  But don't take my word for it...try it for yourself!  


Ingredients
2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 onion, diced
1 green chili, diced
1" piece ginger, peeled and diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut powder (unsweetened)
2 cups water
1 cup raisins
1 cup rawa (wheat)
1 tsp lemon juice

1.  Heat oil in medium nonstick saucepan;  when hot, add mustard seeds.  When seeds start to pop, add onion, ginger, and chili; saute until lightly browned.  Add salt to speed the browning.

2.  Add coconut and water; stir to mix.  Add raisins and rawa; simmer until water is absorbed, stirring constantly.  Add lemon juice; stir to mix.

3.  Upama is properly cooked when it naturally forms into clumps as you stir.  Enjoy by itself or with sliced banana!

No comments:

Post a Comment