I am an American married to a South Indian. I love the delicious food that my mother-in-law makes, but I can never seem to get my hands on any authentic South Indian recipes. This blog is simply a collection of dishes I have learned by watching Ammachi ("grandma") in the kitchen. From the heart of our home to yours, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Okra Curry

This curry is hearty and thick, a nice meal for a cold day with hot chapati!  Fresh okra is best, as the extra water from the frozen variety can make the first step take longer.  The more you cut okra, the stickier it gets, so after removing the stem, only cut each okra into two or three pieces.  


Ingredients
4 Tbsp oil
2 cups okra, chopped
1 green chili, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
2" piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
1 tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 cup water
1/2 cup coconut milk

1.  Heat oil in large saucepan; add okra, cook until browned and not sticky.  Remove okra from pan and set aside.

2.  To hot oil add onion, chili, and ginger; sauté until lightly browned.  Add chili powder, coriander, turmeric, gram masala, and salt; stir to mix.  Add tomatoes; stir.  Add water; simmer 1-2 mins.  Add okra and coconut milk; stir and heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment