I am an American married to a South Indian. I love the delicious food that my mother-in-law makes, but I can never seem to get my hands on any authentic South Indian recipes. This blog is simply a collection of dishes I have learned by watching Ammachi ("grandma") in the kitchen. From the heart of our home to yours, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Mushroom Curry

This is easily one of my favorite curries ever!  I can eat it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!  It is smooth, yet with a substantial kick.  For variety, I sometimes add in small chunks of lightly fried paneer cheese.  Because this curry is quite runny, you might consider serving it with rice and chappati.  I enjoy the spiciness, but if it is too hot for you, cut the amount of chili powder in half, remove the seeds of the green chili, and/or add more coconut milk.  You don't want to miss the great flavors of this dish!


Ingredients
3 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp mustard seeds
3 cups mushrooms, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 inch piece of ginger, minced
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 tsp turmeric
2 1/2 Tbsp coriander
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 cups water
3/4 cup coconut milk
Fresh cilantro

1.  Heat oil in medium saucepan; add mustard seeds.  When seeds start to pop, add onion, ginger, and green pepper; saute until browned.

2.  Add tomatoes; cook 1 minute.  Add turmeric, coriander, chili powder, and garlic powder; cook 1 minute.  Add mushrooms; cook 1 minute.

3.  Add water and salt to taste; simmer 10 minutes. Stir in coconut milk; cook until heated through.

Garnish with fresh cilantro.  Serve with hot chappati/tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment