I am an American married to a South Indian. I love the delicious food that my mother-in-law makes, but I can never seem to get my hands on any authentic South Indian recipes. This blog is simply a collection of dishes I have learned by watching Ammachi ("grandma") in the kitchen. From the heart of our home to yours, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Pickled Shrimp

I am usually not one for pickled foods, but this is just too good to resist!  It is tangy, spicy hot, and simply addictive!  The longer you allow it to sit, the more the flavors mingle.  If you aren't a regular with the pickling process (and thus don't have the glass canning jars lying around), you will find that a cleaned out jam jar will work just fine for storing this yummy side!  It is good hot or cold.

Ingredients
3 Tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
3" piece of ginger, peeled and diced
5 garlic cloves, slivered
1/2 onion, diced
1 Tbsp fenugreek seeds
1 1/2 Tbsp coriander
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp pepper
2 cups shrimp, cooked, tailed, and deveined
1 tsp fish sauce
3 tsp vinegar

1.  Heat oil; when hot add mustard seeds.  When seeds start to pop, add onion, garlic, and ginger.  Fry until lightly browned. 

2.  Add fenugreek, coriander, chili powder, turmeric, and pepper; stir to mix.  Add shrimp; saute 1 minute.  Add fish sauce and vinegar; stir to mix.  

3.  Enjoy one serving immediately, if desired.  Store the remainder in airtight glass jar for several days to pickle.  



No comments:

Post a Comment