I am an American married to a South Indian. I love the delicious food that my mother-in-law makes, but I can never seem to get my hands on any authentic South Indian recipes. This blog is simply a collection of dishes I have learned by watching Ammachi ("grandma") in the kitchen. From the heart of our home to yours, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Chapati (Unleavened flatbread)

Simple, easy, and delicious, chapati is a staple part of the daily South Indian diet, much like tortillas are to Mexicans.  To properly enjoy chapati, you should tear off a small piece and dip it in the curry, using it to wrap and pick up the chunks of vegetables, meat, etc.  For a yummy snack, spread a freshly cooked chapati with butter, sprinkle with sugar, and roll it up (my son's favorite!).  


Ingredients
3 cups flour
pinch salt
water

1.  Mix flour and salt together in medium bowl.  Add water by 1/2 cupfuls until a firm dough forms, kneading in between to mix.

2.  Knead for 8 minutes.

3.  Make 1-2" diameter balls, flatten slightly and coat with flour.  Roll out into 6" rounds, sprinkling with flour as needed.  (It is helpful to use a long, thin French rolling pin)

4.  Place one chapati on hot griddle for 5 seconds then flip, allow small bubbles to form; flip again and allow large bubbles to form, pressing lightly around chapati with spatula.  Remove to container and spread with a little butter.  Repeat for remaining chapatis, placing the cooked ones in a single pile in container to keep warm.  Serve hot with your favorite curry!

No comments:

Post a Comment