I am an American married to a South Indian. I love the delicious food that my mother-in-law makes, but I can never seem to get my hands on any authentic South Indian recipes. This blog is simply a collection of dishes I have learned by watching Ammachi ("grandma") in the kitchen. From the heart of our home to yours, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Unyappum

If one were to take banana bread batter and fry it, that would be a close cousin to Unyappum.  It is a slightly sweet fried dumpling that works great as a snack with coffee or tea.  


Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar cane, slivered
1 banana, peeled & chopped
1 Tbsp ghee/butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp ground cardemom (3-4 whole)
1 cup water
1/4 cup oil for frying

1.  Remove green casing from cardemoms by lightly crushing them with a mortar and pestel; then grind the inner black part into a course powder.  Set aside.

2.  Blend sugar cane and banana with mixer until smooth.  Add flour, ghee, baking soda, salt, and water;  mix until smooth.  Stir in cardemom.  Let stand for 30 minutes.

3.  Heat oil in small fry pan;  add generous Tbsp-fuls of banana mixture to hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy on the outside.  Drain on paper towels to cool.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment