I am an American married to a South Indian. I love the delicious food that my mother-in-law makes, but I can never seem to get my hands on any authentic South Indian recipes. This blog is simply a collection of dishes I have learned by watching Ammachi ("grandma") in the kitchen. From the heart of our home to yours, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Naiappam

Naiappam (n-eye-app-um) is a slightly sweet fried batter, similar to a doughnut.  It is a perfect snack on a cold day along with a cup of coffee or tea.  Plan ahead, though, because the batter must sit overnight.  Look for the rice flour in a local Asian/Indian specialty grocery store.  


Ingredients
2 cups rice flour
1/4 cup suger
1/2 tsp baking soda
water
4 - 5 whole cardamoms, shelled and ground
1/4 cup coconut powder, unsweetened
pinch salt
pinch cumin
5 Tbsp oil

1.  Mix rice flour, sugar, and baking soda with enough water to form a thick, wet, paste.   Cover and let sit overnight.

2.  Add cardamom, coconut, salt, and cumin; stir to mix.  Let sit for another 2 hours.

3.  Fry in oil by Tbsp-fuls until golden brown and crispy on outside.  Drain on paper towels and enjoy!   Makes about 15 pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment