I am an American married to a South Indian. I love the delicious food that my mother-in-law makes, but I can never seem to get my hands on any authentic South Indian recipes. This blog is simply a collection of dishes I have learned by watching Ammachi ("grandma") in the kitchen. From the heart of our home to yours, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Palak Paneer (Spinach and Cheese Curry)

This is a delicious dish of chopped spinach and paneer cheese with a not-too-hot blend of spices.  It is thick and savory.  Great with chappati!  Paneer is a firm curd cheese that can usually be found in Asian specialty stores, Whole Foods, or ethnic sections of your local grocery store.  If you can't find it, I've found that extra firm tofu works as a good substitute.  




Ingredients
1/2 onion, chopped
1" piece ginger, peeled and diced
1/2 green chili, chopped
1-2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp oil
1 cup paneer cheese (or extra firm tofu substitute), chopped into 1/2" cubes
1 tsp mustard seeds
dash turmeric
3 cups baby spinach, shredded
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp salt

1.  Puree chili, onion, ginger and water in blender until it forms a thick paste.  Set aside.

2.  Heat oil in large saucepan; fry paneer until golden brown and crispy on the outside.  Remove paneer, leave oil in pan.

3.  To hot oil, add mustard seeds.  When the seeds start to pop, add the onion paste and turmeric; heat through.

4.  Add spinach; cook 1 minute.  Add garlic powder and salt; cook until spinach is wilted and heated through.  Add paneer; heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment