I am an American married to a South Indian. I love the delicious food that my mother-in-law makes, but I can never seem to get my hands on any authentic South Indian recipes. This blog is simply a collection of dishes I have learned by watching Ammachi ("grandma") in the kitchen. From the heart of our home to yours, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Channa Masala (Chickpea Curry)

I never liked garbanzo beans until I had this dish!  The beans get soft, but not mushy and the spices make it just heavenly!  I like to eat it with chappati and a side of plain yogurt.  


Ingredients
2 cups channa/chickpeas/garbanzo beans, soaked overnight
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/2 Tbsp oil
dash turmeric
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp oil
1/2 Tbsp mustard seeds
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 Tbsp salt
1/2 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp coriander
3 tomatoes, chopped

1.  Cook channa in pressure cooker with water, salt and oil for 10 minutes on high pressure.  When cooked, add turmeric and garlic powder.

2.  Heat oil in large saucepan, add mustard seeds.  When seeds start to pop, add onion and salt; saute until browned.

3.  Add chili powder and coriander; saute 1 minute.  Add channa with water and tomatoes; boil until 1/2 of water is evaporated, about 10 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment